I just love when celebs put their two cents into politics! With all their money and houses and cars and jewelry and jets, they are completely in touch with the 99 percent(well, more accurately, the 53 percent or would they best identity with the 47 percent? I digress). They are the perfect group to school us all on American laws and the Constitution. Everyone giving up a social life, or any life outside of politics and the news for that matter, you can quit what you’re doing and listen to the magical words of Barbra Streisand, Roseanne, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, and George Clooney. THEY have all the answers for us. They know a government-run country is totes better than a capitalist free market. I mean, come on! How do you think they got their money? They didn’t earn that. They didn’t work hard. They didn’t sacrifice for their passions. The government propped them up the whole way.
At least that’s what they’re implying is the only way that us regular folks can achieve success. The latest comes from Barbra Streisand. Now, for the sake of everyone’s sanity, I won’t go play-by-play on her HuffPo article but let’s look at some of the things she says.
1. “The only budget proposal that Republicans will support is the Ryan budget.”
Really, Babs? How about the more than 30 budgets the House has passed and sent on to the Senate even though it’s the Senate’s job to create the budget? *cough* 1,239 budget-less days *cough*
2. “If everyone was left to fend for themselves, and government failed to take the lead in investing in schools, roads, research and development, space exploration, and the internet, we would have a very different country where the fate of a person’s future would be sealed in the socio-economic status that he or she was born into.”
Dear me! You mean back when people schooled their children at home and took care of their own needs they didn’t make it? They didn’t raise up people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Madam C.J. Walker, Thomas Edison, and Frederick Douglas? If something is worth investing in, the people will invest. If a company is seen as unsustainable, it will fail. The government doesn’t need to “invest” in order for businesses to prosper.
3. “It’s a fact that Mitt Romney has millions of dollars in Swiss bank accounts and secretive offshore investment funds in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda in order to avoid paying his fair share of U.S. taxes.”
Two words: Nancy Pelosi.
4. “Compared to George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan, Obama has been more fiscally conservative than any other president in recent history, with the exception of President Bill Clinton.”
5. “The last President who was elected amidst a severe economic crisis and high unemployment was Franklin D. Roosevelt.”
I think you glossed over President Ronald Reagan, Babs.
But other than those small points and all the others we didn’t get to, Ms. Streisand is so right… Well, at least her topic sentence is.