I have some questions for ’08 Obama voters. Oh, not the Daily Kos bed-wetters or the Birkenstock Brigade. Not you doctrinaire big-government liberals still upset the president hasn’t appointed a Menopause Czar. And certainly not the dedicated professionals of the SEIU (I have too much respect for you guys to question your electoral choices, and not just because I don’t want to spend a week peeing blood.)
No, I’m addressing you “independents” and moderates who pulled the lever for Obama back in 2008.
I understand. You were sick of Bush. You were weary of a leader of the free world who had all the verbal dexterity of a Western Texas gas station attendant. You were tired of the Iraq War (but unlike Senator Harry Reid, you weren’t actually rooting against us). President Bush had alienated our friends around the world, the media assured you, and you knew that couldn’t be good. And you were so tired of everybody hating and pointing fingers in Washington. You wanted a clean start, new politics.
There they were – those Obama campaign workers with their tattoos and messenger bags, those “O” stickers and the smile that said, “Yes we can!” or maybe “That was some good hash!” No matter. They were positive, idealistic even. They believed. It was appealing.
Their guy was new, young, hip and excruciatingly multiracial. In fact, you think he may have been on season 8 of “The Real World.” No wait, the guy you were thinking of was a Venezuelan transvestite named Sylvester.
No matter. Here was something new and fresh. He wasn’t white, and in voting for him you could check that box on your “Virtuous Me” list (“Voting for first black president” – it’s between “Buying a reusable grocery bag” and “Costa Rican Eco-Vacation.”)
Besides, grizzled, serious newsmen had to sit funny to hide their giant erections every time they mentioned him. He must be the real deal.
So here’s what I want to know – and I swear by David Axelrod’s comb-over that these questions are not rhetorical. I truly want them answered.
- Are you satisfied with your post-partisan president? The “consensus politician” that called Republicans “enemies,” that nationalized a 6th of the U.S. economy without a single Republican vote? The guy that just the other day blamed Republicans for the failure of his “Buffet Rule” legislation – in the Democrat-controlled Senate? The guy whose party created an ad showing GOP Representative Paul Ryan pushing an old lady over a cliff? Remember “Attack Watch?” Are you satisfied with this?
- Are you satisfied with the president who decried “false choices” in politics? Are you still gung-ho for the guy who says the Ryan Budget would leave us with dirty drinking water, no air traffic control and no care for autistic children? How about with the reasonable centrist who whose re-election strategy centers on relentless class warfare and who targets corporate jet owners and hedge fund managers who don’t “pay their fair share?”
- What about the ethical giant who promised the “most transparent administration” in history? Are you ok with “Fast and Furious?” Solyndra? Recess appointments when the Senate is not in recess? Phony statistics like “jobs saved or created?” The man that stocked his White House with Maoists, 9-11 Truthers and fisting aficionados whose passion is the “queering of elementary education?” The president whose justice department opposes minimal voter ID requirements to combat electoral fraud?
- How’s it been having the “smartest guy ever to become president” around? The one that didn’t know there wasn’t such a thing as a “shovel-ready job?” Who excuses dismal economic performance by telling all and sundry that he had no idea how bad the economy really was when he took office? How about the guy that guaranteed the stimulus would keep unemployment under 8%? The genius who gave Gordon Brown DVDs that wouldn’t play in Britain, and the Queen an iPod loaded with his own speeches?
- Are you satisfied with the sophisticated internationalist who was going to restore our reputation in the world and repair relationships Bush had all but dismantled? The one who sent Churchill’s bust back to the Brits, who refuses to back them over the Falklands and whose aide denied the very existence of the “Special Relationship?” How about the guy that’s thrown Poland and other friendly East European nations under the bus on missile defense? I won’t even ask about how he’s treated the only democracy in the Middle East.
- Are you satisfied with your post-racial president? Do you find it disquieting that his Justice Department dropped an ironclad and already-won voter intimidation case against the New Black Panthers? That his Attorney General Eric “Americans are cowards about race” Holder feels comfortable publicly celebrating Al Sharpton, libeler, murder-inciter and despicable race pimp?
Was it a good thing that the President of the United States simultaneously personalized and further exacerbated racial animosity by declaring that his son would look like Trayvon Martin? What about those Cambridge police who acted “stupidly?” Is it cool that the President of the United States demanded blacks put on their “marching shoes” to get him re-elected? That he’s associated with “African Americans for Obama?”
It all boils down to this: Did you get what you paid for in ’08? Is Obama what he said he was and, just as important – perhaps more important – is he what the media said he was? How you answer will determine how you vote in November. Provided the New Black Panthers let you into the polling place. And you’re not accompanied into the booth by a helpful SEIU volunteer.
P.S. One last question: it’s a small thing I know, but are you satisfied with a president who throws a baseball like this?